- 1 pound fresh okra, sliced into coins (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp table grind black pepper
- 1/2 cup Messina Hof Serenity white wine
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
Mix all ingredients except flour, baking powder, corn meal, and oil.
Sift flour, baking powder, and corn meal together and fold into okra mixture.
In a heavy bottom skillet heat your oil to 350 degrees.
Carefully drop gently rounded tablespoons of batter into the oil, cooking on both sides 2 minutes per side.
Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels, season with a pinch of kosher salt while still hot
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce
Soy Messina Hof Sherry Vinaigrette
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup Messina Hof Solera Sherry wine or Tawny Port
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 cups olive oil blend
Inspired by Executive Chef Chris Shepley of The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce in his recipes. He conducts Cooking Parties with the Chef on the third Sunday of each month at Messina Hof Winery.