Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Onions
- ½ # bacon lardons cut into small strips
- 1 medium yellow onion julienne
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head green cabbage shredded
- ½ cup Messina Hof Dry Riesling
- 1- quart Chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper - pinch optional
- Render the bacon to get the fat out over medium heat stirring so as not to burn
- Add the onions and sweat until translucent
- Add the garlic and cook several more minutes
- Next add your cabbage and cover. Allow the cabbage to sweat covered on low heat 10-12 minutes, stirring so it doesn’t burn
- Add wine and stir to coat mixture
- Next add the stock and seasoning. Reduce by half.
If you are vegetarian exclude the bacon and use vegetable broth. If you want a smokey note add a little liquid smoke. (This can be found in any supermarket)
There is nothing better then to sit down to a bowl of fried cabbage on a (cold) Texas night, alongside your favorite entrée and maybe some blackeye peas and cornbread. I like it even better the next day reheated as a snack.
Inspired by Executive Chef Chris Shepley of The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce in his recipes. He conducts Cooking Parties with the Chef on the third Sunday of each month at Messina Hof Winery.