- 1 pound fresh okra, sliced into coins (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp table grind black pepper
- 1/2 cup Messina Hof Serenity white wine
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
Mix all ingredients except flour, baking powder, corn meal, and oil.
Sift flour, baking powder, and corn meal together and fold into okra mixture.
In a heavy bottom skillet heat your oil to 350 degrees.
Carefully drop gently rounded tablespoons of batter into the oil, cooking on both sides 2 minutes per side.
Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels, season with a pinch of kosher salt while still hot
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce
Yield 3 ½ Cups
- 2 Cups Mayonnaise
- ½ Cups Messina Hof Riesling German Mustard
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice or dry white Messina Hof wine
- 1 tsp tabasco sauce
- 2 garlic clove minced
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp horseradish
- ¼ cup pickle juice or white vinegar
Mix all the ingredients in a food processor until well blended.
The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce.