- 3-4 hot house tomatoes slightly under ripe
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion sliced very thin
- 3 bell peppers make it festive use a red/yellow/orange combination stems and seeds removed
- ½ cup Messina Hof Private Reserve Chardonnay
- ½ cup fresh basil -chiffonade
- Salt and pepper to taste
Blanch and shock the tomatoes (score the bottom, blanch in boiling water, shock in ice water) Once shocked, peel the skins from the tomato. Cut into quarters and remove seeds
Slice the peppers into strips
In a heavy bottom saucepan heat a few Tbsps. of olive oil
Place the tomatoes/peppers/onion in the pot with wine and Salt & Pepper
Cover and cook over low heat until all the vegetables are broken down and creamy. This takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check and stir occasionally so they don’t scorch.
Remove from heat cool slightly then finish with basil.
Eat on toast points/ fish / chicken/ wedge of brie
Executive Chef Chris Shepley of The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce in his recipes. He conducts Cooking Parties with the Chef on the third Sunday of each month at Messina Hof Winery.