Wine Pairings for Dishes with Basil
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
Wine Pairings for Dishes with Basil:
- Basil comes in many flavors – Anise, Cinnamon, Lemon, Spice, Clove, etc. The basil you choose will impart its own strong flavor.
- When used in cooking always add it last as the flavor is destroyed quickly.
- The most common fresh large leaf green basil has flavors reminiscent of mint, black pepper and licorice.
- White wines that do well with basil include Pinot Grigio or Chenin Blanc.
- Medium bodied red wines with light tannins pair well. Red wines to try – Sangiovese or Black Label.
- Recommended wines:
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.