Wine Pairings for Dishes with Potatoes
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
Wine Pairings for Dishes with Potatoes:
5 Things to know about pairing wines with potatoes
- Always pick your wine first! It is the centerpiece of the meal, and the food should complement your selection.
- Potatoes are a neutral starch and therefore can go with any wine. It is the preparation of the potatoes that will complement the wine. Taste the wine and then taste the dish to make sure the dish does not overwhelm the wine.
- The starch in the potato adds a velvety texture to any dish and softens tannins and acid in wines. You can add potatoes or potato broth to a dish to make the dish more wine friendly.
- Baked potatoes are easy, popular for a broad audience, and offer many options for quick meals at home as well as fun diverse party food presentations. There are so many different toppings, you can find a topping that pairs with your favorite wine. These are a few pairings that we enjoyed.
With Vermont Sharp Cheddar we enjoyed the Cabernet Sauvignon
With Sour Cream we enjoyed the Pinot Grigio
With Capers or the Vineyard District Parsley Pesto we enjoy the Riesling and Sparkling Brut
- The fun part is that whatever you like to eat with your favorite wine, just put that on or in your potato!
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.