4 tips on pairing Figs and Fig Jam with Wine:
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
- Figs are the most consistent producing fruit (other than grapes) in the Vineyard District. They produce every year and in volume. Figs are so versatile and easy to store for winter use. Dry them in the oven on racks or in a dehydrator – I freeze these, freeze fresh figs whole, poach figs in wine, or make preserves or jam.
- Fresh figs are delicious served whole or cut in halves. You can add a savory twist by wrapping them in prosciutto and grilling them which pairs well with smooth red wines like the Messina Hof Old Vine Cabernet Sauvignon.
- As a jam it can be a delicious condiment on antipasti platters or as a delicious sauce on chicken or pork.
- Jam is perfect on toast, pancakes or biscuits. What a perfect breakfast treat paired with the Messina Hof Almond Sparkling.
Try a three pack of these wines and try the recipe for yourself to choose your favorite!
- Lepard Vineyard Chenin Blanc
- Private Reserve Sémillon
- Messina Hof Almond Sparkling
- Messina Hof Old Vine Cabernet Sauvignon
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.