5 tips on pairing Okra with Wine:
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
- Okra is a great snack raw – it is healthy and just happens to be veggie! It has fiber, aids weight loss, and is a good brain food.
- It has a natural herbal sweetness in flavor with a nice crunch. If the okra is too fibrous to eat raw, the seeds can be toasted and used like nibs in salads.
- Raw they tend to pair best with white wines dry or sweet. Delicate flavors are best suited to okra.
- Easy to use in soups or gumbos or coat with different flavorings like garlic, lemon, cheese, etc. to pair with different wines.
- This month’s Okra Patty recipe is a perfect pairing for a dry crisp white wine, sparkling, or Rose’. Your sauce of choice will be the strongest flavor and the wine should be paired to the sauce.
Try a three pack of these wines and try the recipe for yourself to choose your favorite!
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.