Wine Pairings for Beets and Roasted Beet Salad:
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
5 Things to know about Pairing wines with beets:
- Beets are a colorful earthy but sweet root vegetable. They add color to any plate, pair nicely with red or white wines, and are packed with good nutrition.
- When roasted the rich earthy flavors create a heavier flavor weight that nicely complements light to medium bodied reds and rose’s.
- Boiled they have a more delicate flavor that pairs easily with whites. Blanched and sautéed beet tops can add a spicy green to the dish.
- The featured Roasted Beet Salad recipe introduces oranges, avocado and the orange citrus vinaigrette which creates a beautiful pairing for fruitful dry white wines as well as citrusy semi-dry wines
- Never be afraid to experiment with the wines you love!
Try it with these recommended wines:
- Messina Hof Orange Muscat Mistella (sweet white with aromas of orange blossoms matches the wine in the vinaigrette recipe)
- Messina Hof GSM (non-traditional option but dynamic medium bodied dry red option that can handle some acidity – go light on the acid in the dressing)
- Messina Hof Blanc Du Bois (Dry crisp white wine with overtones of tropical fruit and citrus)
- Messina Hof Lepard Vineyard Chenin Blanc (Limited Release semi sweet white wine with flavors of citrus blossom and honey)
- Messina Hof Sparkling Rose’ (Semi dry rose’ with red fruit layered with citrus notes)
- Messina Hof Private Reserve Gewurztraminer (Medium bodied slightly sweet and spicy white wine)
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.