Wine Pairings for Dishes with Cabbage
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
5 Things to know about Pairing wines with Cabbage
- Cabbage, like broccoli, is one of the most versatile vegetables. It can be prepared in raw in slaw, fermented in sauerkraut, stuffed with many things or braised. Many different wines work well depending on preparation!
- Cabbage served raw in slaws or fermented in sauerkraut work well with light white wines with a hint of sweetness like Riesling, Blanc du Bois or even a sparkling Spumante.
- Introducing fatty, fried or savory elements boost flavor weight and texture which mellow the cabbage flavors and pair well with richer heavier wines like Tempranillo, Malbec or even Sagrantino. The Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Onions has that rich bacon flavor and works well as a side to bold red wine dishes. If you leave out the bacon, it becomes a lighter vegetarian flavor weight that works with whites or light reds.
Try it with these recommended wines:
- Messina Hof Sparkling Muscat Canelli Spumante
- Messina Hof Private Reserve Blanc Du Bois
- Messina Hof Private Reserve Tempranillo
- Messina Hof Private Reserve Malbec
- Messina Hof Paulo Sagrantino
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.