Wine Pairings for Beets and Roasted Beet Salad:
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
5 Things to know about Pairing wines with Onions:
- Onions, like garlic, are staples in most kitchens. They can be prepared raw in salads, slaw, or as a last minute addition to cooked dishes to add texture and tanginess. Sautéed in butter they caramelize and become sweet. Many different wines work well depending on preparation!
- Onions come in many varieties. White onions are soft, sweet, and mild. Yellow onions are bolder and more pungent. Any onion served raw is most challenging for wine. Some varieties are more challenging than others. Raw they have a sharp pungency and heat but can work well with light white wines with a hint of sweetness like Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Chenin Blanc or even a sparkling Spumante.
- Introducing fatty, fried, more savory elements boost flavor weight and texture which mellow the onion flavors and pair well with richer heavier wines like Malbec, Merlot or even Primitivo.
- Did you know that onions soaked for a week in red wine is actually a medicinal remedy? Yes, check it out.
- The Onion Galette recipe is an amazing surprise of rich buttery yum with a tang of fresh goat cheese that pairs will with any wine. It is not only the perfect side for any dish but a great appetizer for wine tasting! (Plus, it makes you feel like you are in France)
Try it with these recommended wines:
- ⦁ Messina Hof Sparkling Muscat Canelli Spumante
⦁ Messina Hof Private Lepard Chenin Blanc
⦁ Messina Hof Private Reserve Merlot
⦁ Messina Hof Gewurztraminer
⦁ Messina Hof Private Reserve Malbec
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.