Wine Pairings for Dishes with Plums
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
- Plums are more of a texture and taste food rather than flavor. They can be sweet to tart, have a waxy surface and crisp meaty texture.
- Different plums have different flavors that range from a woody lemon to apple. It is easier to look at what ingredients complement plums to determine which wine to pair.
- Foods that tend to be paired with plums are: almonds, hazelnuts, black pepper, vanilla, ginger, raspberries, other stone fruits, medium weight meats like chicken, pork and duck.
- Fresh plums have a crisp acid that needs a sweet or crisper wine to balance. Wines like Sherry or Tawny Port.
- Messina Hof Artist Series Grenache Dry Rose’ (dry rose’ with orange strawberry flavors)
- Messina Hof Artist Series Sangiovese (dry red wine with tart cherry flavors)
- Messina Hof Private Reserve Tempranillo (dry red wine with dark berry flavors)
- Messina Hof Solera Sherry (sweet wine with vanilla and dried fig flavors)
- Messina Hof Papa Paulo Port (sweet wine with black cherry and dark chocolate flavors)
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.