Wine Pairings for Dishes with Southern Peas
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
Wine & Southern Peas:
- Why do they pair well with wine? They have a high level of protein and starch which give balance to acids in wines.
- When do you use them? In winter, try them in a curry sauce or soups. In summer, create hummus or use in salads.
- How do you pair the wine?
- Goes with almost all wines depending on other spices
- Red wines with heavy flavored dishes
- White wines and Rose’s with crisp acidity
- Tribute Series Gewurztraminer (dry white with spicy flavors) – using the same wine in the recipe creates a flavor bridge.
- Mama Rosa Rose’ (semi-sweet rose’) – sweetness balances strong and spicy flavors.
- Private Reserve Petite Sirah (dry full-bodied red with notes of smoke and spice) Match flavor weights – bold wine with bold salad. *
*Substitute the wine in the recipe with the one you are pairing.
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.