Wine Pairings for Dishes with Native Redbuds
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
- Dark, leafy greens are easily interchanged in recipes.
- Swiss Chard is more flavorful green that carries flavor weight that pairs nicely with red wines. My favorite is rainbow as I love the colors of stems and veins.
- Cooking Swiss Chard softens any bitterness and brings out more earthy flavors.
- Adding additional heavier earthy elements, such as mushrooms and bacon, create depth and richness and allow for pairings with heavier and more full-bodied wines.
- Different seasonings and spices can also be used in the dish with different flavor directions. Add garlic and onion for more savory flavors.
- Eaten raw whites are better. Cooked I prefer reds.
- Recommended wines:
- Artist Series Serenity White Blend (soft-dry white blend with Semillon and Pinot Blanc)
- Private Reserve GSM (medium-bodied dry red with an elegant finish)
- Private Reserve Cabernet Franc (heavier-bodied dry red with earthy undertones)
- Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (heavy-full bodied red with muscular finish)
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.