Date Nut Bread Recipe with Jujube (Chinese red Date)
- 1 ½ cup dried Jujubes Red Chinese dates
- ½ cup Papa Paulo Port
- 2 ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans optional
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup MH orange Muscat Mistella
- Juice and zest of one orange
- Soak dates in port while soda/water comes to boil.
- Combine baking soda and water bring to a boil, rehydrate dates in soda water for 30 minutes
- Cream the butter and sugar, add eggs/vanilla/drained Jujubes/nuts/ wine /zest and juice/flour and salt. Mix until batter just comes together
- Divide into two oiled and floured loaf pans (or 4 mini loaves)
- Bake at 330 degrees for 1 hour till a dry clean toothpick inserted comes out clean when inserted into center
- Cool for 5 minutes and then turn out of pans to cool on rack.
Note: This recipe makes a dense bread - delicious toasted with butter and served with fig jam.
Executive Chef Chris Shepley of The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce in his recipes. He conducts Cooking Parties with the Chef on the third Sunday of each month at Messina Hof Winery.
The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce.