Wine Pairings for Dishes with Sweet Potato
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
5 Things to know about pairing wines with sweet potato:
- Always pick your wine first! It is the centerpiece of the meal, and the food should complement your selection.
- Sweet Potatoes are a neutral starch and therefore can go with any wine. It is the preparation of the sweet potatoes that will complement the wine. Taste the wine and then taste the dish to make sure the dish does not overwhelm the wine.
- The starch in the sweet potato adds a velvety texture to any dish and softens tannins and acid in wines.
- Baked sweet potatoes with BBQ sauce are great with red wines, French Fried with some cinnamon and sugar are great with light fruity wines, and plain with salt are great with dry crisp wines.
- The fun part is that whatever you like to eat with your favorite wine, just put that on or in your sweet potato!
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.