5 Things to know about Pairing wines with Cauliflower:
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
- Cauliflower is a close cousin to America’s favorite vegetable – broccoli. It is a versatile vegetable prepared in many ways and can work with any wine depending on preparation!
- Cauliflower served raw or blanched tastes lean and light making it pair best with light wines like Riesling and Blanc du Bois.
- Introducing fatty or creamy elements or fried preparations boost flavor weight and texture which allow pairing with richer heavier white wines like oak aged Chardonnay and rose’s like our Sparkling Rose’ or Sophia Marie Rose’.
- Roasted Cauliflower has a glaze that is so versatile that it pairs with whites and even the boldest reds like Bordeaux Blends, Primitivo and Sagrantino. I even use this glaze on broccoli and on my roasted Salmon!
- Recommended wines:
- Messina Hof Dry Riesling
- Messina Hof Private Reserve Blanc Du Bois
- Messina Hof Sophia Marie Rose’
- Messina Hof Private Primitivo
- Messina Hof Sagrantino Reserva
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.