Baked Winter Squash
- 2-1 lbs acorn squash Trim top and bottom so they are square
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ cup MH late harvest Riesling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Pinch of nutmeg
- Split the squash in half cross section
- Scoop out the seeds ( These can be reserved and cleaned. Later toss in oil and seasoning and bake. Makes a wonderful snack)
- To each half, place in baking pan with cut side up like a bowl
- Divide butter, spices and wine evenly between the squash and put in the hollowed out “bowl”
- Bake at 350 for one hour covered until soft – insert a toothpick if unsure
- Uncover and bake an additional 5-6 minutes to brown the edges
Or if you like, you can exclude the sweet spices and bake them savory and fill them with your favorite cooked grain and sautéed vegetables. The photo shows an acorn squash filled with a savory mushroom sauce.
The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce.