Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Onions
- ½ # bacon lardons cut into small strips
- 1 medium yellow onion julienne
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head green cabbage shredded
- ½ cup Messina Hof Dry Riesling
- 1 - quart Chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper - pinch optional
- Render the bacon to get the fat out over medium heat stirring so as not to burn
- Add the onions and sweat until translucent
- Add the garlic and cook several more minutes
- Next add your cabbage and cover. Allow the cabbage to sweat covered on low heat 10-12 minutes, stirring so it doesn’t burn
- Add wine and stir to coat mixture
- Next add the stock and seasoning. Reduce by half.
If you are vegetarian exclude the bacon and use vegetable broth. If you want a smokey note add a little liquid smoke. (This can be found in any supermarket) There is nothing better then to sit down to a bowl of fried cabbage on a (cold) Texas night, alongside your favorite entrée and maybe some blackeye peas and cornbread. I like it even better the next day reheated as a snack. The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce.
The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce.