5 Tips on Pairing Wine with Kohlrabi:
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
- Kohlrabi has that sweet peppery character similar to its cousins – cabbage and broccoli. Light white wines with good acidity are natural pairings. Avoid strong flavored or tannic wines that can clash.
- Pair wines to the strongest flavor on the plate or in the dish. Slaws usually have a citrus based dressing which also go well with light dry or semi-sweet wines of good acidity.
- The Kohlrabi Apple Slaw has the sweetness of the apples, the crispness of citrus and a pungency from the tarragon.
- Pairs well with white wines like Pinot Grigio, Dry Riesling, Bonarrigo Heritage, or Gewurztraminer.
- Easiest pairing is with the wine in the dish – Chenin Blanc
- Tribute Series Gewurztraminer (dry white with spicy flavors)
- Messina Hof Dry Riesling (dry white wine with crisp citrusy flavors)
- Messina Hof Chenin Blanc (semi-sweet white wine with floral notes)
- Bonarrigo Heritage White (dry white wine blend with crisp citrus notes)
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.