Cucuzza Squash Dip
as prepared by Chef Chris Shepley of The Vintage House Restaurant at Messina Hof Winery
- 2 lbs cucuzza squash
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 lb cheam cheese softened
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1/4 cup Messina Hof Pinot Grigio
- kosher salt
- Start by seasoning the squash with salt and allow them to sit in a bowl to extract some water.
- After about an hour, rinse the squash well and remove the salt.
- Toss the squash in a touch of oil and roast 30-45 minutes at 300 till semi dry. Allow the squash to cool.
- Then take all the ingredients and puree them in a food processor till smooth.
- Adjust your seasonings. Serve with grilled pita bread or Naan bread.
*You can substitute zucchini for cucuzza in both of these recipes. In experimenting, I found that the cucuzza has more moisture than zucchini and creates a better texture in these recipes.
Executive Chef Chris Shepley of The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce in his recipes. He conducts Cooking Parties with the Chef on the third Sunday of each month at Messina Hof Winery.