Baked Stuffed Yellow Squash
Servings 4 people
- 2 medium yellow squash cut length wise and scoop out center
- Squash centers if not to seedy
- 2 cups cooked quinoa or lentils
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red bell pepper minced
- ½ yellow onion minced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup Messina Hof Private Reserve Chardonnay
- ¼ cup fresh herbs your choice
- Salt and Pepper
- Lightly oil and grill the cut side of the squash for presentation. Set aside.
- Finely chop the squash inners and sauté in oil with the other vegetables.
- Mix 1 Tbsp wine into veggies.
- Cool the vegetables, fold into the cooked quinoa or lentils. Add the herbs.
- Spoon the vegetable/quinoa (or lentil) mix into the squash boats.
- Place in an oven proof dish; add the remaining wine and cover.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until squash is tender.
Merrill’s Notes: Use whatever wine you will be serving with the dish in the dish. Use the herbs that would complement that wine in the dish. Garnish with fresh herbs.
Inspired by Executive Chef Chris Shepley of The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce in his recipes. He conducts Cooking Parties with the Chef on the third Sunday of each month at Messina Hof Winery.
The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce