Collard Greens with Bacon, Onions and Messina Hof Primitivo
- 1/2 cup bacon cut into juliennes
- ½ yellow onion sliced
- 1 # Collard greens washed well if its young and tender use stems as well, if not just strip leaves from the stems as the stem will be too fibrous
- cup chicken stock
- ½ cup Messina Hof Primitivo Artisan Series
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Render the bacon until crisp.s
- Add the sliced onion and sauté over low heat 10 minutes until caramelized.
- Add the Collard Greens and cover for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, wine and vinegar to finish wilting.
- Stir to evenly coat greens with all ingredient flavors.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Inspired by Executive Chef Chris Shepley of The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce in his recipes. He conducts Cooking Parties with the Chef on the third Sunday of each month at Messina Hof Winery.
The Vintage House Restaurant features vineyard cuisine and locally grown fresh from the garden produce.