Wine Pairings for Dishes with Mesquite Bean
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
Wine Pairings for Dishes with Mesquite Beans:
3 Things to know about pairing wines with mesquite beans:
- Mesquite beans make a sweet-smelling aromatic flour powder reminiscent of coconut/cacao/cinnamon. It is not sweet to the taste but in fact has a flavor of nuts with hint of citric acidity.
- It adds flavor weight to flavorless breads or starches and can be a complement to many different styles of wines like aromatic reds with lighter tannins like Grenache, Sangiovese, and GSM.
- Added to foods, the flour gives a nice balance of flavor for light crisp wines. The citric and tropical flavors in the flour provide a great base for foods to pair with crisp white wines like Orange Muscat, Riesling, and rose’.
- Messina Hof Dry Riesling – dry crisp white wine with hints of apple, 100% Riesling
- Messina Hof Grenache Rose’ – dry rose’ with hints of white chocolate dipped strawberry, 100% Grenache
- Messina Hof Orange Moscato Mistella – sweet, fortified white wine, 100% Orange Muscat.
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.