Wine Pairings for Dishes with Sage
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
Wine Pairings for Dishes with Sage:
- Like oregano, sage is a bold flavorful herb that is a member of the mint family. Harvest in the early morning when the leaves are more tender and not as pungent.
- The menthol character and leathery leaf adds flavor weight to any dish. This makes the dish more harmonious with wines of heavier flavor weight.
- Sage flavor is minty but more peppery with a hint of citrus. Wines that complement these flavors work best.
- Dishes like sage seasoned roasted chicken, BBQ meats, lamb, black beans and turkey gravy are excellent with rich whites and bold reds.
- Creamy dry white wines like Viognier and bold reds like Petit Verdot are natural complements to sage-based dishes.
- Recommended wines:
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.