Wine Pairings for Dishes with Texas Tarragon
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
Wine Pairings for Dishes with Texas Tarragon:
- Though not truly a tarragon, Texas Tarragon, has wonderful anise aromas and flavors. Some say even more savory that the traditional French Tarragon. It is a plant that grows so well in your landscape and produces beautiful marigold flowers.
- The leaves have a liquorish & pine like flavor with hints of citrus and spice. This crisp pungent flavor weight in the herb makes the dish perfect with crisp white wines and medium bodied reds.
- Fresh Texas Tarragon has brighter flavor than dried. Take care to marry the brighter flavors in the dish with a wine that will not be smothered by the herb.
- Texas Tarragon is beautiful on fish & chicken dishes; make your own tarragon vinegar; and use on vegetables like asparagus.
- It marries well with reds like whites like Riesling, Pinot Grigio, Gewurztraminer and Semillon. Dried Rosemary marries well with medium bodied reds like Grenache and GSM.
- The Vintage House Wilted Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Merlot Dressing recipe goes with both white and red wines.
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.