Wine Pairings for Dishes with Blackberries
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
5 Things to Know:
- Use blackberries fresh or frozen and in sweet or savory dishes.
- Blackberries are a common descriptor for wines, especially Bordeaux reds (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec, Petit Verdot), Primitivo and wines with black fruit jammy flavors. These are wines with the same flavor affinity and make natural pairings.
- Blackberries harvested early tend to have higher acidity and are described like raspberries. The astringency of these blackberries complements the acidity of the white wine like Riesling or Rosé.
- In a sweet full-flavored dish like the Blackberry Crisp, flavor weight of the rich dessert is balanced by a Papa Paulo Port or even a Petit Verdot if you like drier wines.
- In recipes where blackberries are an ingredient, pair the appropriate wine to the strongest flavor in that dish.
- Messina Hof Rosé
- Messina Hof Primitivo
- Messina Hof Papa Paulo Port
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.