Wine Pairings for Dishes with Winter Squash
as recommended by Karen Bonarrigo & Merrill Bonarrigo
Wine & Winter Squash:
- Planning your holiday menu? This is a yummy side to include.
- Baked squash has a natural sweetness in flavor which is enhanced by sweet spices and wine.
- If prepared savory style with herbs, grains or sautéed vegetables, it complements red wine dishes.
- Easy pairing is always to serve the wine in the dish with the dish. In the Bake Winter Squash recipe, chef Chris uses Late Harvest Riesling. This is a sweet wine. Father and Son Riesling will provide the same flavor complement but be less sweet.
- Messina Hof Father and Son Riesling (Natural flavor affinity pairing)
- Messina Hof Gewurztraminer (Spicy white wine complements holiday spices)
- Messina Hof Pinot Noir (Fruitful red that will not overpower the flavor)
- Messina Hof Paulo Tempranillo (Rich smooth red for savory preparation)
- Messina Hof Angel Late Harvest Riesling (Perfect pairing for dish alone)
Merrill and Karen Bonarrigo, Wine and Food Pairing experts at Messina Hof Wine Cellars, Inc.